How to select rotary lobe pumps
How to select and specify rotary lobe pumps
When specifying lobe pumps there are several factors to bear in mind.
- Whether the application is sanitary or not. If it is sanitary to what level of certification is required.
- Generic considerations such as flow, differential pressure and chemical compatibility.
- Viscosity is important with lobe pumps as different designs can cope with differing viscosities. ECP pumps are generally better with higher viscosities.
- How shear sensitive is the liquid? A slow running ECP would offer the lowest shear rate when it comes to lobe pumps.
- Fluid sensitivity to temperature is another factor to bear in mind with slower running ECP pumps offering the best solution.
Always be cautious when it comes to using a smaller model running at a faster running speed as this could be the most expensive option when you include maintenance costs.