Several factors related to chocolate's peculiar mixture of properties need to be considered when it comes to pumping it.
- Chocolate is extremely sensitive to temperature; too hot and it will degenerate or even burn, too cold and it solidifies.
- Chocolate's structure is delicate as the cocoa butter and cocoa solids can easily separate if subjected to high degrees of shear.
- Chocolate can be abrasive.
- Chocolate will coat the internal surfaces and sealing areas of a pump.
- Not all chocolate products are the same and can have different viscosities, structures and may contain additional ingredients such as nuts, fruit and dairy products.
- Many chocolate processes require hygienic certified designs.