Axflow is one the UK's largest suppliers of rotary lobe pumps & circumferential piston pumps
Rotary Lobe Pumps
4 series from 2 manufacturers
- Biological Broths and Slurries
- Caustic Solutions
- Corrosive Liquids
- Dairy Products
- Ferric Chloride
- Foam Protein
- Fruit Concentrates
- Molasses and Syrups
- Non-Newtonian Fluids
- Oil, Fats and Mayonnaise
- Paints Resins
- Pet Food
- Phosphoric Acid
- Sensitive and Viscous Fluids
- Separated Oil Processing
- Silver Nitrate
- Soaps and Detergents
- Sulphuric Acids
- Thixotropic Fluids
- Vegetable Oils
- Viscous Liquids
- Booster Sets
- Chemically Resistant
- High System Pressure
- High Temperature
- Horizontal Mount
- Intrinsically Safe
- Mechanical Seal
- Semi Submersible
- Variable Speed
Rotary lobe pumps are positive displacement pumps that create moving cavities between the synchronised lobes in the pump chamber that move the fluid around the pump chamber. Rotary lobe pumps are one of the most useful types of positive displacement pumps and are particularly wide spread in the food and beverage industry.
Advantages of Lobe Pumps
- Pass medium solids.
- No metal-to-metal contact.
- Superior CIP/SIP capabilities
- Can offer short term dry run capabilities.
- Non-pulsating discharge.
- Can be constructed for hygienic and sanitary applictions.
Typical Applications for Lobe Pumps
Because lobe pumps offer a gentle pumping action and run at low speeds they are good in applications involving solids and high viscosity fluids. This means that they are commonly found in two very different environments.
WHY BUY ROTARY LOBE PUMPS FROM AXFLOW
We specialise in hygienic lobe pumps and large lobe pumps for industrial applications.
AxFlow holds over 1,600 lobe & ECP pumps in stock which us to offer a reliable delivery on bare-shaft pumps of 2-3 days and new pump-sets of under 3 weeks.
To support our pumps in the field, AxFlow holds over 128,152 spare hygienic pump components and kits in stock available on a standard 2-3 or express 24-hour delivery.
We offer three types of rotary lobe pump design.
- Rubber lined lobe pumps for industrial applications.
- Hygienic rotary lobe pumps for low to medium viscosity applications.
- External circumferential piston pumps for more demanding and exacting hygienic duties.
The Waukesha external circumferential piston pump (ECP) design evolved from the traditional lobe pump design. The long sealing path of the winged rotors reduces slippage and offers gentle handling of particulates. They perform better with liquids which require gentle handling, low viscosity, and high viscosity or contain abrasives.
For more details on the ECP pump design click here.
Rotary Lobe Pump Maintenance
- Rotary lobe pumps usually have both bearings and geared motors both the bearings and gears require lubricating on a regular basis.
- Many rotary lobe pumps use mechanical seals these need regular inspection. Particularly if the mechanical seal has bearing oil on the outboard side that could leak into the fluid being pumped.
If you encounter a reduction in performance over time be this flow or pressure, then the internal components may have worn. The solution to this issue is to replace the lobes/wings with oversized replacements and reduce the internal wall thickness to maintain the original tolerances.
Specific maintenance requirements may vary depending on the brand and model of your rotary lobe pump. Always refer to the specific manufacturer's documentation and gudelines for detailed instructions and recommended maintenance intervals
How to Select Rotary Lobe Pumps
Always be cautious when it comes to using a smaller model running at a faster running speed as this could be the most expensive option when you include maintenance costs.